Sunday, March 26, 2006

Busy Work

Right now I'm finishing up a paper that was due Friday. I did get permission to turn it in tomorrow night, though. On top of me not being all that interested in the topic (Arthurian Literature), the professor described the assignment as just 'busy work' when we discussed it last week. That kind of pissed me off.

I've been teaching college courses part time for two years now and I've had to redesign every new course the first time I taught it. For some classes, I've modified what I teach every term. In each class, though, whenever I've found something that didn't fit with the central goal of the class, i.e. 'busy work,' I've dumped it. I don't see any point in assigning something that doesn't reinforce what the students are supposed to be learning.

This makes me feel a lot less interested in graduate school. If this is any indication of what I'll encounter when I get there, I'm not feelin' it. Going to school at night with a family and full time job is hard work. I'm glad I'm almost finished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web This Blog
Get your own email button

Powered by Blogger



    Subscribe in NewsGator Online
    Add to Google
    Add to My AOL
    Subscribe in Bloglines